Saturday, October 29, 2005

Five reasons to cheer after all!

We can all find a zillion different reasons to detest our campus at any given time. But love it or loathe it, you can’t ignore it. And just in case you are tired of the constant whining of what could have been, why not appreciate what we already have and can get from it( apart from a degree that is!). At least five reasons come to my mind, and here they are:

1. Clean Kgp, Green Kgp ! Its one of those very rare places where you can go out for a walk and not wrinkle your nose in disgust because the road side garbage pit got even more appalling. What’s more, the later and darker it is, the more breathtaking it becomes!

2. Friends are forever ! They come in all forms : the jhandaaoing kind, the peace-maaroing kind, the nocturnal kind, the muggu kind, the stud variety, the anti-muggu brigade, the nahalis, the atthis, the sattis, the chhaggies and what have you! A plethora of categories exist to choose from, and boy, do they last! Where else can you form friendships like you do here? Anybody who has spent any amount of time here would agree that life without them would have been, well…a different story altogether!.

3. It’s a whole new world! So you were the topper of your school. So you thought you were on top of the world. So you thought books are all that is there to conquer. Well dude, think again. There are limitless avenues to explore and Kgp teaches you that it’s never too late. You can start over all again from scratch and still find the time and resources to excel. Be it sports, dramatics, music, or good ol’ literary skills, many a talent were discovered and honed here!

4. Are you man enough?! Talk about education going beyond textbooks and actually molding character and personality. Remember the time you failed in that interview, or the time a prof screwed you in viva, or those heady days of illu and rangoli, or the time your friend was sick and lying in a hospital, or the time your hall won that all important G.C., each experience is there to savor. Life does have its own queer way of imparting its lessons!

5. Live and let live! I remember being really fussy about my choice of food, with a million nakhras about what kind of spread would be allowed to pass through my oesophagus. Then Kgp happened! Now, I don’t throw tantrums if the ‘cuisine’ in front of me doesn’t match my very high standards. In other words, I have become tolerant, and I can survive without those very things which had seemed to make life so impossible just a few years ago! I can live without eating, without sleeping for hours, without cleaning my room, without money in my pocket, without switching off my computer, and sometimes, without a shoulder to cry on. I have learnt to survive. When I walk out of this place, I know I can face anything!

19 comments:

Sunny said...

happy kgp to you !

Dewdrop said...

:))
hmm...atleast I'm trying to find ways to make it happy ;)

how abt u?
aur batao...
kya load hai life mein??!!!

sandeep said...

hmm....tumhare comp pe blogger chal gayaa???

Saurav Arya said...

"I can live without eating, without sleeping for hours, without cleaning my room, without money in my pocket, without switching off my computer, and sometimes, without a shoulder to cry on. I have learnt to survive. When I walk out of this place, I know I can face anything!"

well said ...=D> =D>

Dewdrop said...

@sandeep

yup :)

it seems blogger doesnt hate me after all!!

Dewdrop said...

@saurav

hmm..so u agree with me!
nice to know... :D

Chintan said...

Quite a neat piece.. Looks like I'm not among the only ones already getting nostalgic.. Kudos!

Dewdrop said...

@chintan
u already nostalgic???

anyway...thanx a lot :)

Dewdrop said...

@saurabh
well ...maybe...maybe not...
i stay in kgp, i can only write about what happens here...

it cud happen at other places...u shud know better!

Anonymous said...

Precise,concise and ever so well written. My compliments. The point about absence of litter and the general cleanliness of campus is an interesting observation. hmm...come to think of it, an extremely intersting observation actually.The best of KGP condensed in five points. Saves me the trouble of penning down what KGP is, I will quote your article from now on. can I? :) keep up the good work.

Kontham Sudhir

Dewdrop said...

@Sudhir

thanx...[:)]

and yeah , sure!

TS said...

eh!!! i was thinking to pen down the negative side of kgp....i think I should give it a second thought now.

Dewdrop said...

@rick

yeah i guess sometimes its easier to see the negatives...

anyway...best of luck on that second thought [:P]

Anonymous said...

concise.
I might write something stupid here, hence the anonymity.
I inferred that you are in fourth year, so there are two things which you would agree with :
Firstly, kgp is a huge confidence booster for bandis. A month before joining IIT, you are a geek who made it big, and the day you enter the institute for classes, there are 600 males 'checking you out'. You are news. You are SOMEONE!
Secondly, kgp encourages individuality which is absent in many other institutes. All the kinds you mentioned in the 2nd point exist because there is no stick of peer pressure prodding people, or is pretty limp. Hence, the kanjoos live with the lavish, the narrow-minded argue with the rational etc etc.

I love kgp too.
(kgpian. non-snite :)

Dewdrop said...

@ Mr Anonymous

firstly, thankew :)

secondly, abt bandis being SOMEONE only after joining IIT...well...most girls who r here r strong minded ...and they made it here bcoz they had the conviction to compete with the rest of the junta...they dont need 600 males to check them out to feel like SOMEONE...THEY ALREADY ARE.

thirdly, when it comes to friends, kgp is as good as it gets [:)]

forthly, next time u visit my blog( which i'm sure u will [:)] )
plz plz do leave ur name...and I do appreciate ur comments!

Arvind Iyer said...

Ah..I am caught in an unusual quandary, isn't it ?
The anonymity was good while it lasted. But now, I can't comment with my name here, which will ruin the effect I wanted.
And if I comment like I do in other posts in this blog, I might reveal my identity by doing so.
Hence, I'd have to use a different set of words, expressions and humour to differentiate Mr.X from Me.
Or I could just end it all here...

Here goes...phew!

Dewdrop said...

@ arvind

[:)]...now i know!

thankew!

Arvind Iyer said...

and you are ???

Dewdrop said...

@ arvind

try the links section in the sidebar [;)]